Welcome

My photo
Greetings! I’m a writer, editor, and teacher, and I enjoy connecting with readers and other writers. From 2017 to 2021, I served as Alabama's Poet Laureate. I call this blog and website "A Map of the World" because I think that, as writers, we each map the world through our own lives and imaginations. Welcome to my particular map! To get in touch, you can email me at forjenhorne@gmail.com or find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/for.jen.horne where I post a Mid-Week Poetry Break every Wednesday.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Finding Poetry

Sometimes you find poetry, sometimes it finds you. I've long loved found poems--Maxine Kumin's "You Are In Bear Country" is a favorite--and I like the way keeping an eye out for them makes me more attentive to finding the unusual in the ordinary.

Using an online dictionary recently I somehow stumbled onto a list of words that rhymed with drumroll. I don't remember how I got there but the rhythms caught my ear and I knew I had a found poem. Here, with a few modifications, originally from merriam-webster.com, is "Rhymes with Drumroll":


Rhymes with DRUMROLL

airholearmhole
bankrollbeadroll
bedrollblackhole,
blackpollblowhole
boreholebunghole
catchpole, charcoal
chuckholeconsole
Creole, dipole
dry holeDutch roll
egg rolleyehole
field goalfishbowl
flagpolefoxhole
funk holehard coal
half soleheart-whole
hellholeinsole,
in wholekeyhole
kneeholeknothole
leafrolllogroll
loopholelost soul,
manholemaypole
midsoleMongol,
outsole,  payroll
peepholepesthole
pinholepitchpole
portholeposthole
potholeredpoll,
ridgepoleSheol
shot holesinkhole
ski poleslipsole
snap rollsound hole
spring rolltadpole
taphole, thumbhole
top-holetouchhole
washbowlweep hole,
white hole, wormhole,
drumroll drumroll drumroll.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive