Welcome

My photo
Greetings! I’m a writer, editor, and teacher, and I enjoy connecting with readers and other writers. From 2017 to 2021, I served as Alabama's Poet Laureate. I call this blog and website "A Map of the World" because I think that, as writers, we each map the world through our own lives and imaginations. Welcome to my particular map! To get in touch, you can email me at forjenhorne@gmail.com or find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/for.jen.horne where I post a Mid-Week Poetry Break every Wednesday.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Finishing Projects

I often (always?) have too many different creative projects going at once. Yesterday I took down the "story board" I had made for a collection of short stories I've been working on for several years. I'm calling the book Land of Opportunity because all of the stories are set in Arkansas and I always liked the old state motto. Taking down the physical representation of the book's stories and organization marked a turning point--it feels finished, and this weekend I sent out five stories for consideration at various journals. Three have already been published online: “Why I Live At the Albert Pike Hotel,” at http://asouthernjournal.com/Ezine/Archives/2007/2007v18horne.htm; “Other People’s Dogs,” at http://www.marckbeggs.com/ALF/2007/horne.htm; and “Sixteen Going On,” in Foliate Oak (that archived story is no longer available online). I still have the Arkansas license plate pinned to the board, along with the most astute advice I ever found in a fortune cookie: "Now is a good time for a bit of solitude."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive